When motivation and determination to smash a goal are running high, we can get so caught up in reaching the end result that we forget/underestimate the importance of the process it takes to achieve it. Obviously being motivated and determined to smash a goal is amazing. But, when the end result becomes our sole focus, we can become impatient and end up implementing shortcuts and questionable methods in order to achieve it (for example: drastic cuts in calories or cutting out entire food group if you’re trying to lose weight). In addition, being solely result focused can cause us to ignore or minimise cues given to us by our bodies that we need to slow down.
Burnout can lead to increasing the time it takes to achieve our goals and in some cases even put us off attempting to achieve them entirely.
What is burnout?
“To cause to fail, wear out, or become exhausted especially from overwork or overuse.”
Burnout has 3 main components:
- Cynicism (particularly feelings of detachment or lack of engagement with things that you typically enjoy); and
What causes burnout?
There isn’t just one sole cause, instead several factors play a role in us becoming burnt out. Put simply burnout can be described as an imbalance in our lives, especially when the demands placed on us by work, training, ourselves (for the perfectionists out there) and other lifestyle stressors outweigh rewards, recognition, relaxation and our self-care routines.
What are the signs & Symptoms?
The following are examples of a few of the signs and symptoms of burnout:
- Constantly feeling tired and exhausted
- Change in sleep habits and appetite
- Lack of motivation and difficulty enjoying things that you typically would
- Increased feelings of self-doubt
- Withdrawal and isolation from others
Self-care tips to help avoid or remedy burnout
- Reach out to friends and family and talk about how you are feeling
- Take a break and pamper yourself
- Make sure you are getting enough sleep and if training is one of the contributing factors of you burnout ensure that your training program is properly periodised giving you enough time to recover
- Make sure you find the right balance for you lifestyle
To sum up make sure you are including a good self-care system to your routine this year and be on the look out for the signs and symptoms of burnout.
Just some food for thought.