We all know how important it is to engage in some form of physical activity regularly. For most of us the chosen means to stay fit and healthy is through exercise at the gym. However, being fit and healthy goes beyond the time that we spend working out. Being active outside of the gym and ensuring that we are filling our bodies with mostly nutrient dense food is just as important. We spend most of our time outside the gym so what we do during that time will have a great impact on our lives and our goals.
Here are a few tips to help ensure that you are making the most of your time outside of the gym:
- Aim to get 10 000 daily steps: Walk or take the stairs more often. Try parking further away or taking the stairs instead of the lift wherever possible even going to a bathroom that is further away at work.
- Be mindful of what you’re putting into your body: By no means do I think you should deprive yourself of food that you enjoy (everything in moderation) but you do need to be mindful of what you’re eating and how much of it you’re eating.
- Participate in activities that are fun and will keep you active and moving: Going swimming, bike riding, trampolining, hiking, bowling, ice-skating, going to the beach, etc.
- Get friends and family to participate: Getting friends and family to participate in activities with you such as going for a for a daily walk after dinner or on your lunch break can help to keep you motivated and make you more accountable to keep it up.
- Think of making it part of your lifestyle and not just a temporary measure: Shifting your mindset and thinking of doing things as part of your lifestyle helps to ensure that you view your commitment as long-term and will also help ensure that you are making positive sustainable changes that will help you achieve your goals.
Just some food for though