Almost a year ago I wrote a blog post on the benefits of strong gluteal muscles and the importance of training legs. I thought it would be worthwhile revisiting these benefits as well as giving you guys one of my favourite leg workouts to try.
While training to strengthen and enhance the booty has been gaining a lot of attention recently I have found that a) there is still some confusion as to which exercises will actually help you achieve this and b) that there are still quite a few men avoiding certain exercises (such as hip thrusts) or avoiding training the booty at all. The importance and benefits of training these muscles goes far beyond aesthetics. So make sure you’re not neglecting them.
The gluteus maximus, medius and minimus are the largest muscle group within the body and make up the booty. These muscles work together to stabilise, extend, rotate and abduct the hip. Having strong gluteal muscles helps to:
- Prevent injury = Strong gluteal muscles can reduce the risk of injury in the knees, lower back and hamstrings. When our booty muscles aren’t strong enough other muscles which aren’t as well suited for the job take over which can potentially lead to pulled muscles and injuries (ouch!)
- Improve athletic performance = Our gluteal muscles are essential in virtually all sports (as well as in the gym). Strong booty muscles can help in making faster, more agile and able to produce more explosive movements. They basically help us to train at our highest capacity
- They look good = Looking good means feeling good. Fellas don’t be selfish, girls like booty too 🙂
Jay’s go to Booty Workout
- Sumo deadlift 4×10
- Barbell hip thrust 4×10
- Leg press (single leg) feet positioned high 3×12 (each leg)
- DB walking lunges 3×12 (each leg) (making sure to take long strides to place emphasis on hamstring and glute muscles)
- Sideways cable kicks 4×10 (each leg)
- Finisher: 10 box jumps into burpees
- 60s rest between all sets
Seriously guys, don’t skip leg day!
Just some food for thought