Booties have been gaining a lot of attention recently. Why they ever lost our attention, I will never understand. However, the importance and benefits of training your derriere go far beyond aesthetics.
Your booty is made up of the bodies largest muscle group. It is comprised of the gluteus maximus, gluteus medius and gluteus minimus. These three muscles all work together to stabilise, extend, rotate and abduct the hip.
So what are these amazing benefits I’ve been harping on about?
- Injury Prevention = Strong glute muscles can reduce your risk of injury in the knees, lower back and hamstrings. Weak glute muscles can lead to an imbalance in the hip. When your booty muscles aren’t strong enough other muscles which are not as well suited for the job take over which can lead to injuries and pulled muscles.
- Improved Athletic Performance = Our glute muscles are essential in virtually all sports (as well as in the gym). Strong booty muscles will make you faster, more agile and help you produce more explosive movements. Basically strong glute muscles will help you train at your highest capacity
- It looks good = Looking good means feeling good. Just think about how much better your booty will look in those yoga pants ;). Fellas don’t be selfish, girls like booty too.
Jay’s Favourite Booty Activating Exercises
- Interval Sprints
- Sumo Deadlift
- Glute Bridge
- Banded glute kickback
- Squats (Must be below parallel in order to activate your glute muscles)
- Single leg, leg press (feet positioned high)
- Walking lunges (make sure you take long strides as this places emphasis on your glutes)
- Step ups
Seriously guys don’t skip leg day