Hydration is arguably one of the most overlooked components with respect to the achievement of our fitness goals.
Approximately 50-75% of the human body is made up of water and it is involved and needed in almost every process of the body.
Ensuring that we are adequately hydrated is not only important for our fitness and weight loss goals, but generally important for our overall health.
5 Benefits of Drinking Enough Water
- Water is helpful for Weight loss = Water can act as a hunger suppressant. Studies have shown that drinking cold water can help to boost your metabolism.
- Water can boost energy = By reducing fatigue. Getting enough hydration ensures that your energy levels are high, helping you smash your workouts.
- Water ensures our joints stay healthy = Most of the cartilage in our joints is made up of water. Staying hydrated ensures that these joints don’t get stiff which in turn helps to reduce our risk of injury.
- Water can improve the appearance of our skin and slow downtime ageing process = Adequate hydration helps our skin get rid of toxins and improves circulation leaving your face clear. Drinking enough water hydrates skin cells and plumps them up helping you look younger.
- Water aids the body in several functions and helps prevent health problems = Staying adequately hydrated helps the body eliminate waste and reduces the risk of health problems such as kidney stones.
How much water should you be drinking?
There are several authorities however the most common one suggests that we drink between 6-8 glasses of water a day.
If you don’t like the taste of water you can always add fresh fruits to give it natural flavouring.